Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Forty-five Wallace Middle School Students Sample College Life at Southern



Three school counselors and two eighth-grade teachers took 45 Wallace Middle School students on a field trip to Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven on Thursday, May 21. School counselor Jennifer Formato said the trip "opened up their eyes to what college is, what it looks like and what it feels like." The counselors had the students write about the trip after they returned to Wallace, and some said they would like to go and they "realized now they can't just slack off and expect to get there by doing that," Formato said.

"What I learned from going on the trip to SCSU was that I need to be serious about my school work to get into a good college because it can affect my future greatly. I used to think I could just slack off but this trip inspired me to do better to get into college," Magnus Ezeji said.

William Thomas remarked: One thing that inspired me was all of the resources that a college has to offer to me and other students, especially the programs, computer labs and the library."

Teachers Melissa Banks and Sharon Ogrodnik attended with counselors Ellen Jordan, Lindsay Brown, and Jennifer Formato.

Photos: Forty-five Wallace Middle School students visit Southern Connecticut State University on May 21. Wallace students (left to right) Sandra Davino, Asha Lee, Taylor Bandelloni, Nicole Vega, and Ashley Garcia enjoy lunch in the student cafeteria at Southern.